You are not logged in.

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 3:47am

Rhapsody dubs no longer working!

Okay, the inablility to record my downloaded Rhapsody songs hit me today. A screen saying this pops up after Tunebite tries to play the song: "This content was downloaded from the Rhapsody subscription service and can only be licensed through Rhapsody client"....

I'm using Tunbite version 5.1.145 and Rhapsody version 4.386 running on Vista OS. I've tried shutting down. No fix. I've tried Task Managaer, ending all apps that have to do with Rhapsody and licensing, to my knowledge. So now what?

The TB player is timing out, and I cannot record my once recordable Rhapsody tunes. Sucks. Please help me Tunebite Forum!!

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Mark184" (Apr 27th 2008, 1:45pm)

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 3:10pm

RE: Rhapsody dubs no longer working!

I guess from the lack of responses that I'm the only one experiencing this. I do know that recently Rhapsody forced me to some Microsoft DRM page that made download something new. That obvioulsy is the cultprit. Anyone know how to remove this last DRM that I installed?

Please...Please help me!

Fathom

Professional

Tuesday, April 29th 2008, 5:26pm

I have not used Rhapsody since it first came out so I am not much help there.

When I am clueless (probably more often than I think) I try to avoid responding so hopefully someone at Audials will notice a "0" replies post and respond. Unfortunately there have been many "0" replies in the past so I started in. My responses should be read by them and corrected if wrong or incomplete but since this has never happened I am starting to wonder and referring more often to generating logs and contacting support thread (which has since vanished).

The "Microsoft DRM page" is probably "Security component upgrade" page. This is necessary the first time Windows Media Player encounters a DRM protected file. It finds and links a UID (unique identifier) for your machine to the DRM licenses. Otherwise the files could be played on any machine defeating one of the main purpose of DRM.

The UID is basically a digital serial number read from a hardware component in your computer, no personal info is sent. I don't remember which hardware. One problem that can occur is if you replace that hardware component or transfer your files to a new system, the licenses no longer match the machines UID. Then the licenses basically have to be [replaced, re-identified] to match what is, or at least appears to be a new machine. But that's another topic...

Fathom

just another Audials (v9) user
:P

=====> DESKTOP <=====
3.2GHz Intel® Core™ i5 64bit
Intel® HD graphics, 1759MB shared video memory
Windows 7 Home

=====> LAPTOP <======
1.8GHz Athlon
64bit X2 Dual-Core
Windows 7
Home

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Fathom" (Apr 29th 2008, 7:50pm)

Wednesday, April 30th 2008, 12:50am

Thanks Fathom... I appreciate the response, especially from another user (since I never see a lot of tech support from Tunebite). When their product works, and it has worked for me for some time, it's great. When it doesn't, seems like you're on your own, except for forum folks like you!

I understand your response, however I've been successfully using Tunebite and Rhapsody together on the same machine and OS for more than a year. The only change was moving up to version 5x of Tunebite. That seemed to make my old version of Windows Media Player want to get a renewed DRM. So is there a way to remove DRM certificates? Has Microsoft caught up with Tunebite?

Fathom

Professional

Wednesday, April 30th 2008, 1:38am

Quoted

Originally posted by Mark184
I've been successfully using Tunebite and Rhapsody together on the same machine and OS for more than a year. The only change was moving up to version 5x of Tunebite. That seemed to make my old version of Windows Media Player want to get a renewed DRM. So is there a way to remove DRM certificates? Has Microsoft caught up with Tunebite?

"The only change was moving up to version 5x of Tunebite. That seemed to make my old version of Windows Media Player want to get a renewed DRM. "

That could be coincidence. I have never had (or heard of) DRM needing renewal because of Tunebite. In fact I have installed and played with various legacy versions in the past week. As far as I understand all Tunebite does is digitally record data being output by other players. The other players request and deal with DRM and licenses.

That said, DRM is fragile. The data is easily corrupted. I have had mine scrambled a couple of times but not since last spring. There is also "revocation" that can occur. Also new hardware, new machine, new install of a player, old device drivers, etc. All good reasons for having and using something like Tunebite. DRM will eventually break one way or another.

As for cleaning out DRM and reacquiring licenses afresh... I have done it the most complex and difficult ways possible (using a MS knowledge page) as well as using simple "tools" available (now obsolete and unavailable) and creating my own scripts. I think it is simpler now and there are thousands of sites that discuss how.

It has been too long since I have wiped and rebuilt DRM to remember much or advise if you go that route. But whatever happened to require another DRM security [update] I don't think it has to do with Tunebite. I have had it happen out of the blue and went along with it and things worked fine after words, though it is disconcerting.

I should ask the real question: can you play Rhapsody licensed files, or just not when Tunebite is running?

If Rhapsody files wont play at all, maybe Rhapsody site has advise or license repair tool, or a procedure for reacquiring licenses.

If they wont play only when Tunebite is running then that would need Tunebite support advice, or someone familiar with Rhapsody.

Fathom

=====> DESKTOP <=====
Windows 7 Home

=====> LAPTOP <======
1.8GHz Athlon
64bit X2 Dual-Core
Windows 7
Home

Thursday, May 1st 2008, 4:12pm

Rhapsody is playing it's own files just fine. But when I try to "play" the same files through Tunebite, I get the Rhapsody dialog pop up as quoted previously. I think you're right... something has made my DRM not get along with Tunebite. I'll give a good Google search, and inquire with friends who work at Microsoft re cleaning out DRM. (an advantage of living with 5 miles of the MS campus). When I find an answer, I'll post here for all.

Many thanks for the ideas Fathom!

Fathom

Professional

Thursday, May 1st 2008, 8:12pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Mark184
Rhapsody is playing it's own files just fine. But when I try to "play" the same files through Tunebite, I get the Rhapsody dialog pop up as quoted previously.

Now it makes more sense. I take it that you have only used Rhapsody to play the files and that the following pop up was a Rhapsody message rather than Tunebite or Windows Media Player message.

"This content was downloaded from the Rhapsody subscription service and can only be licensed through Rhapsody client"

Tunebite uses iTunes and Windows Media Player only, not Rhapsody's player. If the files cannot be played through one of these players you are out of luck.

WMP needs the licenses to play the files and apparently Rhapsody keeps its own DRM storage. I don't know what formats Rhapsody uses but I assume they are Windows. I am still guessing here but this seems a workable theory...

1. I would try playing a file with WMP to force WMP to acquire the license for that one file.

2. If it will play in WMP, I would then make WMP the default player for those formats when a file is double clicked in explorer. Either use WMP file association settings or right click a file and select "Open with", select or browse to WMP, and select "Always play with.."

3. Then try that same file played earlier in WMP with Tunebite. If it converts now with Tunebite, then WMP now has that license in it's storage.

You may need to be online for WMP to acquire the DRM license. Windows files have there own specific DRM. I don't believe that Rhapsody could have a unique DRM from Windows own specification so I think this would work unless Rhapsody was allowed to build their own online DRM server that Rhapsody alone goes to, but then Rhapsody would be the only player for those files and that would not be accepted by many so I think that scenario is unlikely, but not impossible. It seems I have seen mp3 players that were "Rhapsody" compatible what ever that means.

If that resolves things I am sorry it was not picked up earlier,
Fathom

=====> DESKTOP <=====
Windows 7 Home

=====> LAPTOP <======
1.8GHz Athlon
64bit X2 Dual-Core
Windows 7
Home

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Fathom" (May 1st 2008, 8:33pm)

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 6:32pm

This must be a computer specific issues, since Tunebite is working with Rhapsody on both of my children's machines.

I finally figureed out how to clear the DRM folder in case of corruption, but that did not fix the problem... I just got newer versions of DRM's!!

But Fathom... I will try what you mention. You're correct that Rhapsody utilizes Windows Media Player, but it is indeed possible that these files have become diss-associated with WMP, so I'll try that when I get home.

Hopefully this discussion will be of use to others when this happens to them! I'll post results.

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 2:54pm

The bad news... the files rhapsody saves are all Windows Media files. If I click on the files themselves, WMP launches, followed quickly by the Media Usages Rights Aquisition warning "This content was downloaded from the Rhapsody music subscription....".

So Rhapsody has clearly merged their own DRM into WMA files. And they will not play in any thing else than the Rhapsody client player.

Ouch.

Tunebite tech support... you guys have an idea for this? (other than realtime stream recording).

Fathom

Professional

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 8:46pm

bummer :(
they should mention this somewhere, disappointing

If you have not done so already, use the "to supportform" button in left column of forum to contact support directly.

Good luck, I hope you post back what you learn,
Fathom

=====> DESKTOP <=====
Windows 7 Home

=====> LAPTOP <======
1.8GHz Athlon
64bit X2 Dual-Core
Windows 7
Home

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fathom" (May 3rd 2008, 8:49pm)

Monday, May 5th 2008, 1:40am

can be fixed

I had this problem at first but then got it to work by Googling for a while. There were several hurdles:

1. Rhapsody 4.0 downloads Rx files instead of WMA files. Tunebit cannot work on Rx files. Luckily Rhapsody 4.0 also seems to have an option within preferences to request WMA files instead. There is also a REGEDIT hack to force WMA downloads that you can find by Googling but it is not needed now that Rhapsody allows you to set this preference.

2. The problem you mention is due to licensing of course.. first try authorizing your computer & updating licenses through Rhapsody. If that doesn't fix it, what worked for me was to go to the Rhapsody folder and click on Delete Helix Licenses , Update Helix Licenses and Update Windows components , all found within the Rhapsody folder. More info on this can be found on the Rhapsody forums.

http://real.lithium.com/real/board/messa…essage.id=10554

I have a question for you guys ... do you use Tunebite to convert to WAV or some other lossy format?

Space is not problem for me but I hear WAV files cannot store ID3 tags.. what would you recommend as the highest quality most compatible output type to which restoring ID3 tags will not be a pain?

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 1:59am

Thanks for the reply ubuntuperson. The files I'm trying to have Tunebite open are definetly WMA files, not the RAX format.

I tried what you and the link you provided suggested, but still am getting the same Rhapsody window. I'm starting to wonder if I should just uninstall Rhapsoday completely. That'll be next.

Don't have a good answer to a high quality ID3 compatible file type. I'm using MP3, mostly for headphone application, so don't need the high fidelity.

Fathom

Professional

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 2:44am

Quoted

Originally posted by ubuntuperson
do you use Tunebite to convert to WAV or some other lossy format?

Space is not problem for me but I hear WAV files cannot store ID3 tags.. what would you recommend as the highest quality most compatible output type to which restoring ID3 tags will not be a pain?

With a protected file you are starting with a "lossy" format (often mis-used or mis-understood), you can not go back to the 'original' raw data. Tunebite uses a fully digital process reading the data as the file is played, so if you use same format and bitrate or higher as the DRM file, you get what you had. (shortened simplified explanation)

The formats that accept id3 are WMA, MP3, OGG.

Fathom

=====> DESKTOP <=====
Windows 7 Home

=====> LAPTOP <======
1.8GHz Athlon
64bit X2 Dual-Core
Windows 7
Home

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 3:49am

Well I guess it was just my machine. What finally worked was un-installing Rhapsody client, then deleting all the files in the DRM folder, restarting. Fixed it, and for the time being, Tunebite is working once again with my Rhapsody files. Yikes... And I had previously deletes all of those DRM files... but I guess the Rhapsody program was holding onto a few of it's own!

Hopefully this solution helps others if they get that dreaded Rhapsody window.

Many thanks to you folks for your support!

Tuesday, June 3rd 2008, 2:34am

same problem.... expanded...

I have been having the same problem with the error message comes up. I first tried to use tunebite on my main desktop which has Vista which sucks because it only converts at x1 speed (known issue). I set it up to convert files over night but when I woke up then next morning I had the majority of songs with the 60 sec time out. It did about 30 songs before doing that. I have a laptop with xp so I copied the files to the laptop then reaquired the drm rights using rhapsody and tried to use tunebite and got about 72 songs into it before it acted up again. Some how wmp is losing the drm rights to play songs but I can't figure out how it is happening. I will try to reinstall rhapsody and see how far that gets me. My gf d/l about 1500 songs from rhapsody and I am trying to convert those. Has there been any other fixes for this drm issue?

Saturday, August 9th 2008, 11:25am

I guess it is time to get rid of Tunebite

Anyone have any luck with Rhapsody. Still seeing the same issue. They either need to fix this or say that Rhapsody is no longer supported

Saturday, August 9th 2008, 7:05pm

I'm not seeing this issue. Not that I can offer any advice -- the only preference changes I made was to force the .wma format to download. Short of that, it's a factory install. I'm 100% up to date with windows update, so it can't be a MS thing and I have the latest Rhapsody software as well.

Tennasota

Beginner

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 4:10am

RE: Re: Rhapsody dubs no longer working!

Hey Mark184,

I TB Rhapsody all the time!!!

My question to you is; Are you downloading the files in WMA or Rax format???

WMA is the format you need to use with Tunebite (TB), and I have no troubles.

That's my 2 cents worth...

Respectfully,

CA ]: )

Using Rhapsody Ver. 4.414, Tunebite 5.1.174.7400

In Preferences / General / Rhapsody Options you may want to uncheck "use DirectSound audio output (recommended)" and run a trial run. You can always check the box again.
One Truck Driving Viking ]: )

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Tennasota" (Aug 10th 2008, 5:41am)

Wednesday, August 13th 2008, 8:57am

I had this problem a couple of times. It seemed to occur with songs that I downloaded using Rhapsody and then didn't run Tunebite for a few months. Ie, the files were in the Rhapsody download folder for a while and for some reason the DRM for those songs were corrupt. What I did was just use Windows Explorer, navigate to the Rhapsody download folder, delete the songs (you may have both a WMA and a RAX file for the song- delete both of them), then open Rhapsody and re-download the song, then run Tunebite. It worked for me each time this happened.

Wednesday, August 13th 2008, 8:10pm

This is a pretty old post, since I've not had this problem for months. But in case anyone's wondering, the problem totally went away when I uninstalled Rhapsody client, deleted all the DRM files that the uninstall left behind, and then reinstalled Rhapsody. Everything works fine now, and I am able to TB Rhapsody files just fine. (and yes, you need to select the Rhapsody preferance to save files as WMA and not RAX).