Format Error Message on MP4

Format Error Message on MP4

I am a fairly inexperienced user, but have been converting ITunes songs for my son's MP4 with great success until today. I am getting an error message on the MP4 that reads "format error". I have treid reformatting the songs several times through Tunebit including to 320kbps WMA (that's the format the successful conversions are in).

I've upgraded Tunebite to Platinum and downloaded the newest software update, but nothing is working. What am I doing wrong?

?(

RE: Format Error Message on MP4

Originally posted by Gina Fisher
      I am getting an error message on the MP4 that reads "format error".

Is this a Tunebite error, or an error from another program or device?

I have treid reformatting the songs several times through Tunebit

Are you working from the original downloaded protected file each time?

Any other information you can add about the error (or screen shot of it) would be helpful.

To take a screen shot on Windows
      Hold "Cntl" key down and hit "Print Screen" key This will take a snap shot of the screen which you can then "paste" into Windows "Paint" or other picture editor and then save to disk. You can use the forum post "Attachments" button to add the screen shot to a post.

Fathom
      :P Audials v12 :P

=====> DESKTOP <=====
      3.2GHz Intel® Core™ i5 64bit
      Intel® HD graphics, 1759MB shared video memory
      Windows 7 Home

Fathom,

The error message is coming up on the MP4 screen, not the computer so I don't know how to send you a screen shot.

The error could well be on the MP4, but all the other music files synced up nicely.

Yes, I am working with the original protected file each time. The files appear to convert properly through Tunebite, but when I sync them to the device (MP4) the device gives me the file format erro message when I try to play the song.

The error message is coming up on the MP4 screen, not the computer...

The error could well be on the MP4, but all the other music files synced up nicely....

...the device (MP4) the device gives me the file format erro message when I try to play the song.

Thanks for the info. I did not realize the error was on the portable player. So now I assume the converted files play OK on the computer, just not not the portable player.

320kbps WMA is a very high bit rate, more than double that of most audio that is currently available for download and I think higher than many players are capable of playing. My understanding is that even iTunes Plus only goes to 256 kbps, the highest bitrate available for download that I am aware of. Beyond a certain point, increasing the bitrate (from the original) will not improve the audio, it can only increase the files size.

If you provide the make and model of the mp4 player I could help look up its format specifications and limitations. My "guess" is that your player can not play the higher bit rate, maybe you previously had a lower bitrate (kbps) selected.

If you try 128kbps (that nearly all players can play) and the files play OK on the player then you know that the problem was the high bit rate. You will also notice that you can now fit twice as many files on the player using the lower bitrate. What is left is to find what the highest bit rates your player allows. The formats and their maximum bit rates should be in the players specifications.

It would also be good to know what the bitrate of the original download files are, and use that bit rate for the conversions.

Fathom

ps.
      A less likely possibility is if variable bit rate (vbr) is being used in the conversion and the player can not play vbr files.
      :P Audials v12 :P

=====> DESKTOP <=====
      3.2GHz Intel® Core™ i5 64bit
      Intel® HD graphics, 1759MB shared video memory
      Windows 7 Home

Fathom,

Thanks so much for the education!! Now I know what bit rates are and what they do.

I was finally able to sync the tunes to the MP4, but not through Tunebite. The conversion from ITunes to Tunebite worked great, but no matter what I did I continued to get the error message on the device when I tried to sync through Tunebite.

I finally opened the WMA files in Windows Media player and was able to sync to the device through the media player.

I'm sure the next challenge will be when my nine year old tunes fanatic wants videos downloaded.!!!!